Saturday, January 8, 2011

The Magic is Back, Baby!

Something about a snowy day makes me want to bake cookies. However, for the last 4 years, I seem to have lost my 'cookie magic.' No matter how hard I've tried, my cookies have just been horrible- usually burnt or dry- something. My husband just shakes his head and says, "When we were dating, you used to make the BEST cookies."
(Hmmmm, I'm thinking that phrase may be perhaps a euphemism for other things best left untouched in this blog.) Well, when we were dating, of course my cookies were AWESOME- I didn't have anything better to do.

Today, when I saw the beautiful snow covered trees, I was filled with the cooking making urge, so I decided to try a new recipe for chocolate chip peanut butter cookies. I put them in the oven just as the kids were heading out to play in the snow. When I took them out of the oven, I could not believe my eyes! They looked AMAZING! Perfectly shaped,golden brown, not too crispy, just a tad chewy. They tasted even better than they looked! The best part was that I got to enjoy my warm cookies and coffee in utter peace and quiet while the kids were outside playing in the snow.

I don't know what happened but my 'cookie magic' has returned, much to my husband and children's delight.

Great Recipe for Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies:

1/2 cup of softened butter
1/2 cup peanut butter
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 & 1/3 cups flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
milk chocolate chips (I used 1/2 bag)

Heat oven to 350 degrees.
Beat butter, peanut butter together. Beat in sugars, then eggs and extract.
Fold in flour, baking soda and salt. Add chocolate chips.

Bake for 10-12 minutes until lightly browned.

No comments: